Meet: Felicity Bird
8th March 2022 by Felicity
If it's classic, chic & minimal style inspo you're looking for, Felicity Bird is the influencer to follow! Talking all things fashion, trends & how to authentically grow your Instagram we get to know the woman behind the grid we're loving right now...
1. Felicity, thank you so much for giving up your time to chat to us! How are you?
Not a problem - a very welcome break from looking at power points and spreadsheets all day!
2. We discovered your Instagram account through Sheerluxe and immediately fell in love with your chic, minimal style! Is fashion something you have always had a passion for?
Thank you, so kind! Sounds very cliche, but yes - fashion has most definitely always been a passion of mine! For as long as I can remember I've always loved fashion and styling. I definitely inherited this from my mother, she has the most incredible wardrobe! From a very young age I always used to raid her wardrobe when she went out for the day...so much so she had to start locking her bedroom door so I couldn't ransack it anymore!
3. Congratulations on hitting 15K followers on Instagram - what's your secret to building a loyal fashion following?
Thank you, the 1st 10K was definitely a tough slog. I don't think there is just one secret, it's definitely a combination of things:
- Be consistent, in both posting and style.
- Engagement is key, ensure you're engaging with your audience and other influencers who share the same interests and style.
- Reels - it's definitely no secret that Instagram is trying to directly compete with TikTok, so therefore favouring short videos/ reels over anything. I've found the odd one of my reels have had really great reach and in turn i've had a good follower conversion off the back of them!
4. So many women look to you for fashion advice but who is your ultimate style icon?
I wouldn't say I look up to one particular person per say. I get a lot of my inspo from other conetent creators on IG, particularly scandi influencers for their cool, laidback and elevated style - a few of my faves being Pernille Teisbaek, Elsa Hosk, Maria Kragmann and Josefine HJ.
5. It may only be March but Summer is fast approaching - what SS22 trends are you loving the look of so far?
I'm trying so hard not to get sucked into trend led pieces this year, as I really want to start curating a more considered wardrobe. I am very guilty of buying things on impulse, wearing it once and then finding it at the back of my wardrobe years later, which obviously isn't great for the enviroment or my bank account! So when i'm browsing for the odd trend led piece now, I try to think of multiple ways I can style it so it get's it's use!
Having said that, I am loving how much colour was injected onto the runway over the last couple of years. Last year it was all about Kermitt green (which i'm still a huge fan of), and this year it's all about orange! For those who follow me know that i'm a neutrals gal at heart, but I do love a splash of colour especially going into SS. I have my eye on an orange Jacquemus knitted bralette, which i've got a couple fab ideas on how i'd wear it, so watch this space!
One trend I am not loving is the low slung waist trend! I am a short girl with shorter legs and a longer body, so this is absolutely not flattering for me. I also definitely have PTSD from the 00's where I lived in these low slung Miss Sixty denim flares and bright pink Buffallo trainerd with the fire on the side...if you know, you know haha!
6. When you put together an everyday street-style outfit, what are the key pieces of clothing you can't live without?
In my opinion a great hack to complete, elevate and add interest to any outfit are accessories. As you'll probably see from my pictures, i'll either be wearing a cool pair of sunnies, a cap or recently i've been loving the neckerchief look.
7. What is the most worn item in your wardrobe right now?
Probably my Topshop Kort jeans. These are very 90's inspired and I love the high waist and long length of them. They look fab with trainers and heels...i've got them in about 4 different colours, I LIVE in them!
8. What is on your wishlist for SS22?
I would love a pair of white/neutral chunky sandals. Either the Chanel dad sandals or Hermes Chypre...both of which are absolutely impossible to get hold of. Although they are an investment, I have the black chanel dad sandals which I wore to death last year so I know I will get my £ wear out of them through SS.
9. We were so pleased to hear you love so many of the brands we stock here at Katie & Jo - do you have a favourite right now?
Hard to choose! I love American Vintage - their knitwear and basics are unbeatable. Also Agolde, I absolutely love the fit of their jeans, they're so flattering and the quality is fab!
10. Finally, what is the 1 piece of fashion advice you would give your 18 year old self now?
Definitely be more considered. As I said before, I have a history of impulse buying. So I would tell myself to save those pennies for something you absolutely love rather than a random dress or top you'll wear on a night out once!
Quick Fire Round
Make Up Brand: Rodial
Skincare Brand: Biologique Recherche or The Ordinary
Clothing Brand: Tough! I'm going to give a few...
Highstreet: Stories & Arket
Midrange: Toteme, Nanushka, Frankie Shop, Jacquemus, Remain Birger Christiansen
High End: Khaite, Wardrobe NYC, Magda Butrym
Restaurant: There are a few but a new favourite Koya Ko on Broadway Market! No frills and absolutely not fancy at all, but the food is unreal!
Fave Brunch Spot: I've lived in East London for about 4 years now...nothing beats Broadway Market for brunch!
Cocktail: Lycee Martini or Peach Bellini.
Fave piece on the Katie & Jo website right now: The American Vintage Pino Round Neck jumper! I love it!
Thank you so much for chatting to us Fliss!
If you don't already, make sure to follow Felicity on Instagram at: @felicitymbird